This guide will help you to find out the most reliable and brilliant OneDrive for business backup solutions. If you are also looking for the same then, just go through this write-up and you will get a productive solution for the above query.
Microsoft OneDrive for Business is a file hosting and syncing service. It has simplified the lives of businesses by allowing them to store files on the cloud.
OneDrive for Business differs from OneDrive in that the services it provides are more geared toward businesses.
OneDrive for Business has helped organizations in their growth by boosting their productivity and efficiency.
Notable features includes are:
- You may access your files from any location and at any time.
- It allows exchanging of material with both large and small teams.
- It is supported by other Microsoft products.
As many businesses are migrating to OneDrive for Business, it is even more critical to safeguard these data in the cloud. You cannot rely on Microsoft to provide a backup solution in this case. This is due to Microsoft’s ‘Shared Responsibility model,’ which holds organizations equally liable for any type of data loss.
This makes it important for you to backup your important OneDrive for Business files and data.
How Can You Provide A Backup Solution for OneDrive for Business to Local Storage?
There are three different methods by which you can backup your OneDrive for Business files:
- Using an expert-recommended tool
- Following a manual backup
- Using Office 365 application
Method 1: Using an Expert Solution to Backup Files from OneDrive for Business
OneDrive Backup Tool is a professional application that makes backing up of OneDrive for business files simple.
Using a date filter, you may utilize this tool to export only particular files from OneDrive. The tool maintains the folder hierarchy and data integrity of the data. Follow the given steps to understand the process:
Step 1: Download and launch the application on your machine.
Step 2: On the Setup tab, select Office 365 as the Source and Outlook as the Destination for the backup.
Step 3: Under “workload station”, tick box the documents that you want to backup from Office 365. Also, you can apply the filters as per your preference in order to backup OneDrive for business to local storage.
Step 4: Enter your Office 365 login details and then hit the Next button.
Step 5: Navigate to the location where your want to store your PST files and then press the Next button.
Step 6: Insert the users from the source account who need to be verified to backup OneDrive for business to local storage.
Step 7: Select the Validate button, then click on OK to confirm the accounts.
Step 8: From the ribbon bar, select the Start Backup button to initiate the backup process.
Step 9: You also have the option to run the backup again. For that Select the Re-Run Backup option.
Method 2: Manual Solution to Backup the Files from OneDrive for Business.
Go through the steps given below to backup your One Drive files on your own:
1. Navigate to the OneDrive folder.
2. Select the file you wish to download from the Files menu. By choosing the Toggle selection for all items button. Other than that, you can also select all of the files and folders on your OneDrive.
3. Right-click the mouse or click on the three dots to access the Download option to backup OneDrive for business to local storage.
4. Navigate to the folder where you wish to save your files.
Even if not a backup, this process can help you keep the selected OneDrive files safe.
Challenges of Manually Backing up OneDrive:
- Because all actions are manual, they are time-consuming.
- There is a good chance you may forget to download fresh or updated files.
- If something occurs to the computer/external drive, the backup will be lost.
- In the event of a data loss catastrophe, recovering files will be a time-consuming procedure since you will have to manually upload all of the files to OneDrive.
- Permissions for sharing are not saved.
Method 3: Using the Microsoft 365 App-OneDrive & Sync Client to Backup the OneDrive for Business Files
OneDrive & Sync is a Windows utility that syncs the files and folders that are on your desktop with your OneDrive account.
You can customize the settings to automatically move all changes to your cloud documents to your desktop file and vice versa.
You also have the option to form a OneDrive backup by copying the new documents to your system.
The following are some of the drawbacks of this method:
- OneDrive Sync Client’s Restrictions as a Backup Solution
- Backups that occur infrequently: Because the backup procedure is manual, making consistent, regular backups will be difficult.
- Limited Storage: In order to manage your storage space, you will be compelled to remove older data that are no longer needed.
- Data Loss Chance: If a file is deleted during two backup operations, it cannot be recovered.
- End-User Obligation: This technique is only viable if users assume responsibility for backing up their data. Individual user backups cannot be managed by an administrator.
- Data Loss because of Ransom ware Attacks: If you link OneDrive to the file system of your Windows PC, ransom ware or malware can corrupt or erase your data.
- User Errors: When a file is removed inadvertently, it is synchronized and then destroyed in the cloud, and it is no longer available via the OneDrive online interface.
- OneDrive Sync Feature: If malware infects a local system – unless the sync is switched off – it may be synced immediately, locking all OneDrive data on the cloud.
- Outage and shut-down of SaaS: If Microsoft has an outage, data may become momentarily inaccessible, affecting business continuity.
- Limitations of Native Retention Settings: Microsoft’s native retention settings do not provide a viable data recovery option. This is due to the fact that the deleted files are:
(a) They are only kept for 93 days after you remove them, after which they are completely gone.
(b) Saved alongside your current account data. In the case of a ransomware attack, all of your Microsoft 365 data, including backups, is compromised.
- Legal Compliance and Litigation: Most businesses are required to follow a number of state and federal rules. A backup strategy can aid in meeting regulatory obligations.
OneDrive is a platform for online storage and collaboration. Companies keep their most important data and documents in this location, making a backup of them necessary. As a result, three techniques for backing up files are provided in this article. Select the method that meets your preferences. However, the automated method is preferred because it has no constraints.