Proper hydration during a workout is just as important as warming up beforehand or cooling down afterward. Just like warming up your body for a workout, hydrating properly is also necessary to avoid injuries, lethargy, and general discomfort.
Lack of hydration can put your health at risk. Dehydration can also lead to fatigue and slower recovery. The most common signs of dehydration can be a headache, dizziness, dry and sticky mouth, muscle cramps, nausea, and decreased urine output. Here are some tips to make sure you are properly hydrated before, during, and after a workout:
There are a few key things to keep in mind if you want to stay hydrated before a workout.
1) Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day leading up to your workout to ensure that you’re starting out hydrated and will make it easier to keep up your fluid intake during the workout itself.
2) Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and aerated drinks before working out, as these can dehydrate you.
3) Include more watermelons, cucumbers, celery, dark green leafy vegetables rich in water or electrolytes, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc., in your diet and munch on these before the workout to make your sessions more comfortable.
When working out, it is imperative to stay properly hydrated to avoid dehydration and maintain peak performance. Here are some tips to ensure that you stay hydrated during your workouts:
1) During your workout, drink small sips of water regularly. Remember to not gulp it. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink, as by that time you may already be dehydrated.
2) If you are working out for more than an hour or in a hot environment, you may need to drink an ORS liquid orange mixed well in water. ORS solution can help to replace electrolytes that are lost through sweating.
3) You can carry coconut water, lemon water, green tea or ORS solution to your sessions that will quickly hydrate your body in the middle of the workout. Have these in small quantities to enjoy the prolonged benefits of hydration.
When you work out, you sweat and lose fluids. It’s important to drink plenty of fluids after your workout to help replace what was lost. Water is the best fluid to drink, but you can also drink healthy energy drinks or an ORS liquid orange drink to help replenish electrolytes. Drink about 8 ounces of plain water or ORS solution before your workout, and drink small sips of it throughout the day. After your workout, drink 16-24 ounces of water for every pound lost during exercise.
To sum it all up
Any exercise program requires a significant amount of physical exertion and energy. When your body sweats, it loses water and can become dehydrated. Drinking an ORS liquid orange drink or an energy drink helps to keep your body running smoothly during workouts. The right pre-exercise hydration and fluid intake through ORS solution can help you perform better, recover faster, and reduce your risk of injury.
Awareness and useful tips can help you enjoy your workouts and keep you away from injuries during your sweaty sessions!