Gmail, one of the most popular email clients with more than 1.8 billion users, sends messages to other servers using IMAP. Several email clients, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, and others, also use IMAP to send messages. So, in this article, we will learn how you can perform an IMAP to Gmail migration.
Before you proceed with the migration task, let us understand what IMAP is and why you need it. How to manually import IMAP email to Gmail and how to use the IMAP Migration Tool? Let’s read it in detail.
What is IMAP and Why Do You Need It?
To put it simply, IMAP, or Internet Message Access Protocol, enables you to access your email from any location and on any device.
The Need for IMAP
- It is an alternative to POP. It serves as a bridge between an email client and an email server as an intermediary client.
- You can connect to the email server from different devices.
- It allows you to quickly and efficiently access your email.
- You can share a single mailbox with multiple users.
These are some needs for IMAP. Now, learn the procedures for migrating IMAP to Gmail after having a basic understanding of how IMAP functions.
Manually Method to Connect IMAP to Gmail
Ensure that you have advanced technical knowledge before using this method. Let’s get more specific with simple steps.
- Log in with your Gmail account, and select the gear icon.
- Select the “See all settings” options..
- Go to the Accounts and Imports tab.
- Now add the IMAP email address (option available under check email from other accounts) that you wish to import to Gmail.
- In the next window, enter the password and manage the email settings as required.
- Once you’ve entered all the necessary information, select Add Account.
- Then a code will be sent to the entered email address for verification.
- Enter the code to verify the IMAP to Gmail migration.
By following these steps, you can import IMAP to Gmail. But don’t you think that using this technique requires a high level of technical expertise as well as extra care and consistency? But not everyone is as technical as they can perform this task easily and perfectly.
However,you can migrate IMAP to Google Mail efficiently and you also don’t need technical expertise. So, we advise using the IMAP Migration Tool. Let’s explain utility in brief.
Migrate IMAP to Gmail Using IMAP Migration Tool
The IMAP Migration Tool is one of the best and most reliable tools available for transferring IMAP emails from more than 20 webmail services to more than 25 email clients and file formats. Additionally, it is very proficient at exporting your mail files into various file formats. It is one of the complete packages that have been designed keeping the users’ needs in mind. The following are additional advantages that the user may avail of after using this utility.
Characteristics of the IMAP Migration Tool
The use of this tool has some advantages that the user may experience.
- It migrate IMAP to Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Thunderbird, iCloud, Hostgator, and others.
- Highly capable of backing up IMAP mailboxes into a variety of file formats, including PST, PDF, TXT, DOC, MBOX, JSON, etc.
- You can also preview the mailbox folder of an added IMAP account.
- It also allows its users to save and import emails, contacts, calendars, and tasks into their desired saving format.
- You can also remove duplicate emails in the selected IMAP folder.
- The best part about this utility is that you can manage the scheduled migration as per your requirements.
- You can also manage your email migration with or without the attached files.
- During IMAP to Gmail migration or any other email client, you can exclude your previously migrated items.
- The user-friendly GUI will make the migration process easier.
- You can also manage the destination path for your output file if you select the file format option.
- Another feature that most users look for is broad compatibility with all Windows OS versions.
- No hard technical expertise is required to run this software.
- You can also split your PST into your desired sizes either MB or GB.
- You can locally back up your IMAP emails as well.
The IMAP Migration Tool mentioned above has some of the best features. Now comprehend how it functions in a few simple steps.
Simple and Easy IMAP to Gmail Migration Steps.
Follow the steps to import IMAP to Gmail.
- Download and install the IMAP Migration Tool.
- Enter the required IMAP credentials like ID, Password, and Host ID.
- Now, check the IMAP mailbox folders from the tree structure that you wish to migrate.
- In the next wizard, select the email client as Gmail from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Gmail ID and third-party app password and click on the Sign-in button.
- Manage the features of the utility as per your needs.
- Finally, click on the Convert button to import IMAP to Gmail.
In this write-up, we have learned various methods for IMAP to Gmail migration. What IMAP is and its purposes. Although this migration can be done manually, doing so requires a high level of technical expertise. Alternatively, the IMAP Migration Tool not only makes your migration task easier but also exports your IMAP files into various file formats. Besides, you can also import IMAP to various email clients